- 3 Tablespoons Newell Original
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil, plus more for serving
- 1 small head cauliflower, cut into 1-inch florets (about 1 ½ pounds)
- 2 chipotle chiles packed in adobo sauce, chopped fine, with 1 tablespoon sauce from can
- 2 quarts water
- 2 pounds russet potatoes, peeled and chopped into 2-inch chunks
- 1/2 pound kale leaves, thick stems removed, leaves roughly chopped
- 2 bay leaves
- Kosher salt
Heat olive oil in a large saucepan over high heat. Add cauliflower and cook, stirring occasionally until well browned and lightly charred on all sides, about 10 minutes total.
Reduce heat to medium-low. Add chipotles and cook, stirring frequently about 2 minutes. Add half of water and bring to a boil. Simmer until cauliflower is completely tender, about 5 minutes.
Using a hand blender or standing blender, puree cauliflower/onion/chipotle mixture until smooth. Return to pot. Add remaining water, potatoes, kale, and bay leaves. Bring to a boil over high heat, reduce to a simmer, and cook until potato is easily smashed and incorporated into broth, about 30 minutes.
Remove bay leaves and mash potatoes with a large spoon or potato masher. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Serve, drizzling with extra-virgin olive oil.